1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

string choises a 12 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lee H, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    Does anyone else on here play a 12 string bass? Have you tried different strings, looking for new sounds? I know they are something of an oddball, but I kind of like mine (partially because it is different).
    Anyway, for those who have not played one, they are strung in 4 courses of 3 strings. You have your four standard bass fundamental strings, and above each of the four, you have two octave strings. The octave strings are just regular 6 string, strings tuned so the bass plays it's own harmony...

I have been thinking of stringing one set of the octave strings in power slinkies, and the other set in super slinkies. I have not figured out what to use for the fundamentals though. Let's be clear, I am just experimenting with sound, so this is not something I plan on living with forever...Anyone else have different suggestions?

2. D'Addario makes a set for the 12ver. I've been using them for years, and they sound great... i'm sure they're on the D'Addario website...

3. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Waterstone has excellent 12 string bass strings, for about $25 a set.

4. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    Hamer makes a 12 string set as well.
    The bass is a Korean made Hamer chaparral that I found in a pawn shop for $350. Nothing of great quality, so I do not mind mixing and matching strings to experiment with sound. I am not just wanting new strings, I want to play with different sounds

5. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    What is your ultimate goal? A unique sound? Have you tried flats for the fundamental strings?

6. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I have tried nothing but the strings that came on it.

the goal is just simply the fun of a different instrument. I have never had a 12 string bass before, and I am not using it for gigging, so it just gets plugged into a digitech BP200 processor, and played for my own enjoyment. I only use the processor because it has a "jam along" port to plug my laptop into and I can plug headphones into it. I leave the processor on bypass instead of using the effects. That way I play along with music, and I can hear it in the headphones. It is just a way for me to play without disturbing my daughter.

I am sure I am not the only one to amuse himself by trying out new instruments and by looking for new sounds:D