Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String cleaner!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Hey, I just got some new strings and I don't want to have to buy new ones again in like... 2 months, so anyone got some stuff that rocks on cleaning strings? thx

2. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Denatured alcohol

3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    GHS Fast Fret.

4. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Coil the strings up and drop them in boiling water for about 10 minuits; Dry them off and you're good to go!

Dead strings are the result of sweat, oil and dead skin getting cought in between the windings of the string. Boiling cleans them nice and fresh and breaths the life back into them. I've been doing this for 24 years now with absolutly no down side what so ever. I read in bass player ( I don't remember who it was) of a famous player who does this same thing and only changes sets of strings when one breaks.

I save TONS of dought too!!

KT...

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    After two months the dirt and crud the string is broken in just right.

6. +1

Just soak them overnight, and you'll be :bassist:
    I do this every 2-4 weeks, shifting between sets, and a set can easily last up till a year. It's only when the dents from the frets gets too big, you'll have to dish them.

Boiling is the last resort when everything else fails, and it'll only get them brigth for a week or less. Fast Fret used regulary should be good too... If you can take the feel of it.

7. Methyl Hydrate

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Go to your local hardware store and get a 1/2" diameter piece of PVC tubing, about 6 feet long, with end-caps. Will only cost a few bucks. Fill it with denatured alcohol. Hang your strings in it overnight once every couple of weeks.

With the end caps, you can keep the same alcohol in there for use over and over again, no mess, no muss no fuss. And it works better than "coiling" the strings, since there is full alcohol-to-string contact.

9. Eric, do you straighten the headstock-ends of the strings out, to get them into the tube? Or can they fit in there without straightening?

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I wipe my strings off from time to time with a sterling silver cleaning cloth.

Edit: that is, a cloth made to clean sterling silver...not a cloth made of silver.

11. Make sure your hands are clean every time you pick up your bass.......gig, rehearsal, practicing at home. I use PURELL Instant Hand Sanitizer, it's alcohol based so you can carry it with you in your gig bag and use before, during and after your playing sessions. I dries immediately because of the alcohol and keeps the sweat, or acidic sweat from your hands.......this is the number one cause for dead or dull string life. You can purchase Purell at any store, safeway usually has it in there sample trays for 99 cents a bottle, it's the perfect size to carry with you.
    [​IMG]

Wipe your strings down with cotton balls and denatured alcohol, 99%, being very careful not to get it on the finish of your bass, just the string, this will clean all the sweat and dirt out between the grooves of the string wrap, which will help the life of the string.

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. If you decide to boil them, even boiling them for 10 minutes may be a bit too long. After about 5 minutes you can see all the dead skin cells and gross stuff rise to the top of the water. When I boiled my strings, I boiled them for 15 minutes, and I regretted that because they broke in the next two days. Until then, they definitely sounded awesome, though!

13. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i boiled my d'addarios a few times and my experience was that after boiling they lasted maybe a week (AND A HALF!)and then they were absolutely clinically dead.

personally i don't like rubbing crap on my neck and strings because if that stuff bites into my wenge neck i'll go into my backyard with a long piece of rope. :D