1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String clearance over soapbar - How much?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gapupten, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I had this in the pickup section.. probably goes here.

I can't make my string clearance over my soapbar pickup greater than 1/4 inch without increasing the action to way more than I want.
    I have a bartolini soapbars and the screws are down as far as they can go. I normal like to play with very low action but that makes the clearance about 3/16th of an inch. At that low level, the sound is not clean. The best description I can give is that there is little decay in the sound levels from the first thump to the after strike vibrations. The output is much higher than a single coil Bartolini J pickup I have on another bass. The situation improves as the clearance increases. There is more definition in the sound.
    Am I describing a situation that would occur as a result of the stings too close to the pickups? Somewhere I thought I read that the clearance needed to be more on a soapbar than a J. And for some reason I recall that 3/8" was proper for a soapbar setup.
    Anyone have any ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.