1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String comparison Sound samples

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LiquidSword52, May 13, 2020.

1. I found these recent videos to be very helpful, so I’d figured I’d post here since we’re always looking for these type of things.

Steel/cobalt

Nickel

Vinny_G likes this.
  2. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    It's proof that brands don't matter so much. Stainless steels sound like stainless steels and nickel plated steels sound like nickel plated steels. That's my opinion, anyway. Play what you like and make good bass sounds. ;)

4StringDave likes this.
  3. I would agree generally, but those D'Addario NYXL sound different from the XLs in the fingerstyle clips (not sure about slap as I don't listen to them as not interested). More like steels actually.

I've been using XL nickels for years. It's made me realise that I really like the sound of steels even though I'm not looking for a bright top end. The bottom seems more tight and focussed too, but then it's difficult to tell accurately when it's not in a band mix, and also how they will "feel"

Vinny_G likes this.
  4. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    I think that for some reason in video comparisons a lot of the subtleties that you would hear if comparing in person get lost, I am confident that if I had these strings to try out I would easily be able to hear the difference but in a YouTube video the differences I hear are miniscule

Vinny_G likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021