String Comparrison Chart

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Here’s a link to a string comparison chart… Though its in a foreign language, its still useful. Well, at least I did, and referenced this many times in my wind tastings.
    The descriptions are more detailed then Bass Player Magazine’s descriptions.

Check it out:
  2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I recognize these graphics. It's a direct reproduction of the Bass Player article...

(Since I don't read Russian, I can't tell whether they've honored the copyright by making proper attribution or not...)

3. GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005
    woooow. that was really really really helpful. thanks alot man :)
  4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The funniest part is the bottom chart. Like Bb is different for Blues, Rock or Jazz..

Maybe it's just me. I have only been playing for 41 years. I guess the staff at BP knows more about Bb than I do.

Do NOT make any major financial investments due to any explanation within these charts.

I commented last year when this came out that they reviewed two EXACT same string sets made by the same company but under two different labels and had 2 completly different reviews. How is that at all possible?

Being in the Biz, I know a bit about who makes what sometimes and this is no lie... If I knew how to lie like that, I would be playing Poker on some weeknights. Instead, I save my money and play in 2 different Symphony Orchestras in the evening.. Rosin is much cheaper than betting on a straight against a full house...
  5. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I enjoyed the BP string issue, the opinions of certain strings were interesting; some of which I find hard to believe. :eyebrow: This new chart is a copy of the BP issue........with the exception of the Elites Custom Bass Series Flats........"Dork sound with great balance". I gots to have some of these!
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    String comparison charts are stupid. Lots of nebulous terms like zing and thump and growl and mwah mean nothing until you put the strings on YOUR bass.

Just buy the cheapest strings in the store and start playing.

I got a virus warning (trojan horse downloader) when I entered that site. I use a good virusscanner, so I rather trust that one (AVG) instead of the site.

Just to let you guys know :ninja:
    Bassplayer also has a stringtest.. I look it up.
  8. I agree. Don't make your end all decision based on any charts, but I DO find these somewhat on target. If your looking for say... a bright string, these will help you zero out the less bright strings. Or if your looking for an aggressive sounding string, these will help you zero out the smoother strings and so forth. But thats about it. Your going to have to buy em' and try em'.