Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Core

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by relman, Feb 3, 2001.

1. Alright. I am using DR nickel lowriders (awesome) which I know have a hexagonal core. My question is, do they need more tension than straight ROUNDwounds? If so, is there much difference between the tension the hex-core need and FLATwounds?

2. Anyone out there????????

3. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Ok, Ok, we hear ya!! I would've answered sooner but I don't really understand your questions. Round core roundwound bass strings have less tension than hex core roundwound bass strings. Do they need more tension?? What do you mean by this? Flatwound are usually high tension except for a few types, Thomastik-Infeld flats being one of them. TI Flats are roundcore. Hope this helps.

4. ok...is there much difference between the tension of hex-core strings and flatwounds?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah but what are you going to do about it??! You can't adjust your bass for more or less tension! You can only tune the strings to pitch - there is nothing on a bass to adjust for tension. :confused:

6. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    relman, most flatwounds are hex core, except for TI Flats. I would assume most flats for a given gauge, .105 for example, would have more tension than a roundwound of the same gauge.

7. jeez man! I just wanted to know....don't freak!
    thanks a lot though

8. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Many DR roundwounds are also round core; I really like the Sunbeams for that character - I think they are more musical and alive than hex core strings.

Manufacturers went to hex cores because the windings can get a 'bite' against the core and so avoid unraveling or shifting -- D'Addario explained that to me when I visited them in the late 70's when I wrote an article on bass strings for Guitar Player Magazine back then. However, that advantage in manufacturing and reliability has a price -- the strings are stiffer.

I and others have gotten "bad" Thomastik flatwound strings, for instance, which sound weird with multiple tones or sound dead (which were replaced by Thomastik or the dealer). That's a potential hazard of round core wires. I also find that removing and replacing round core strings (especially the Sunbeams) can often be hazardous to their health.