1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

String crackling

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JakobT, May 21, 2017.

1. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I've posted this question in a couple of other forums before, but without much luck, so I thought I'd run it by you folks as well. When I run my finger lightly along the strings or any metal part connected to the electronics on my EBMM Classic Sabre, I hear a slight crackle like static. The crackling stops if I touch the strings or a metal part of the bass, such as the bridge or the control pots, with the other hand. It's normally fairly faint, but definitely noticeable, and increases if I turn up the gain or the treble. I think I've eliminated most of the possible external causes. I've switched out the battery, instrument cable, amp, and power cable. The control cavity has been re-shielded by a competent tech. The crackling's still there. I have two other basses, a passive P and an active EBMM SUB, none of which display the same symptoms, so I can probably rule out problems with the power. EBMM Customer Service has come up with a fix I've yet to try, but which involves the crossing of two wires and running a third to a ground lug in the control cavity. I've attached the original wiring diagram and the EBMM revision, and would be grateful for your opinion.

IMG_0488.JPG IMG_0487.JPG

2. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    It might be static in your pickguard. Try removing it, and playing without it. If that is the problem copper shielding with conductive adhesive on the back of the pickguard that makes contact with a strip of copper from the shielded control cavity would fix it.

3. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello Jakob. Based on your description, I think that almost certainly your bass has a grounding problem.

Shielding is good. But it, too, needs to be grounded to be most effective. Also, not even shielding will prevent buzz that results from lack of grounding elsewhere in the instrument (bridge, strings, electronics, etc.).

Related to what EBMM suggested that you try, there is this thread for your reference:

Lykke til!

George Himmel likes this.
  4. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I'm not sure. Like on a jazz bass, the cavity on the Sabre is covered by a metal control plate, so it seems unlikely to me that it would hold a static charge in the way a plastic pickguard might. Thanks for the tip, though - I'll keep it in mind.

5. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    The metal control plate, of course would not hold a static charge, the pickguard ...could, and that would cause crackling, though that may , or may not be the problem, vinyl is good at holding static.

6. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I'm also thinking it might be a grounding issue, and the diagrams from EBMM (as far as I can understand them, which isn't far) seems to bear this out to some extent, as does the thread you linked to. I think I'll ask my dealer to have the electronics altered in the way described in the diagrams, and see if that fixes the issue.

Oh - and tusen takk! :)

Snaxster likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021