Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String crosstalk while tapping

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe P, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've been working on tapping, and also considering what kind of pro-bass I'm going to buy (now I run a 33" Peavey MIA passive Foundation-5 with a solid maple, bolt-on neck). I'm a 'technician-type', and have been very interested in the subject of 'string crosstalk' - in other words 'if I fretboard-tap a string (with no muting, other than when I stop the tapped string - right now I always use twin 'scrunchy'-mutes behind where I'm playing), how much energy is trasferred into the other strings' (or, as it turns-out, other non-intended vibrations).

I've come to some specific conclusions regarding bass construction on this subject. I'd like to put forth my findings, and see if I could get some further input from some of you.

Here's what I found (in-general..):
    - All-maple necks trasfer vibrations to the other strings more than necks with a seperate rosewood fretboard (this seems to be a constant on many basses that I've done this experiment on).
    - Neck-through basses exhibited an unexpected property that causes the odd-length of string BEHIND the fret I'm tapping to be picked-up by the pups (way-more than with a bolt-on, on every bass I've tried).
    - therefore, the best tapping bass is one with a bolt-on neck, and a rosewood fretboard.

Make any sense?

Thanks for your input -

Joe

2. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Makes sense to me. I would think that, all else constant, a bolt-on with a rosewood board would provide less vibration transfer than most other common combinations, and that fact would lead to your conclusions.

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Cool. Thanks for your help, Will.

I'm glad to at-least see right away that I'm not completely-spun on the subject!

Notice, though, that I made a potentially pretty big jump there to say 'therefore the so-and-so is best'. Can you think of any considerations that I didn't take into account?

~~~~~~~~~~
    I get a pretty good tap sound out of my current cheepie (WITH the hair-tie mutes!), and I love my bass - but now I'm getting better and more respected and-all, and I'm with a big 9-piece band now. I'd best get a pro bass soon; then I'll have my old-faithful for backup too.

Here's a clip of me tapping with Funk University (we were only seven-piece back-then):
    http://www.narwold.org/joep/What Does it Take (small).mp3

Thanks -

Joe

4. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Well, based on that clip, I'd say you are going to sound pretty good no matter what you play.

I suppose "best" is almost always a subjectivity. In this case, you can get close to "best" by replacing it to "most conducive to the particular result I'm after", which is pretty impossible to argue.