Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Dampener

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jbay, Aug 4, 2004.

1. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    Wondering if any builder has done something like this? Thinking of having an extended range instrument built for touch style.

[​IMG]

Something that is defeat-able of cos :)

2. I can't exactly tell what I'm seeing here

3. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    I believe the Stick/NS method of doing it is to have a section of the fretboard between the 1st fret & nut recessed. They have a piece of felt (?) on a little platform that can be raised or lowered via a lever or similar mechanism. When raised, the felt comes into contact with the strings just enough to dampen it from ringing when open.

Main thing I was wondering is if any luthier had done anything similar, as I'm wondering what would be a simple/feasible way of building the mechanism to make dampener defeat-able to facilitate switching.

4. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    My friend uses the ol' earthquake/router pad trick on his Warr guitar. I have done the same thing on my own guitars when I am in heavy taping mode. I isn't fancy but it gets the job done.

5. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    wouldn't this have essentially the same effect as string mutes? or shoving a chunk of foam/sponge under the strings near the bridge (ala Kaye/Babbitt/etc.)?

6. nah- this mutes just the open strings and lets fretted notes ring normally.

also you could have a lever with a muting pad that presses down from above, like the Kubicki string clamp/capo.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    It's not felt, it's the softer side of Velcro.
    Nor is there a lever, you lift it between positions with thumb and finger.
    Otherwise correct.

I've not heard of any luthier with similar tricks, it actually was realized only on Sticks.
    The rumour has it, though, that Victor Wooten and others use a hair strap, you know, the soft-swept rubberbands for ponytails. They just sling it around the first fret, approx, for tapping, and sweep it of to the headstock for fingerstyle. If and providing you find a strap with the proper tension and surface, this works very nicely. And, a lot swifter than teh NS solution!

8. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    That's what I'm doing now :) Was hoping to find a more "glamourous" way of doing it, thanks! :D

9. So why couldn't you take some 1" adhesive backed velcro and put it on a strip of light aluminum for stiffness and slip it under your strings at the nut? Don't need it? Take it out. You could also sew it to a leather back and do the same thing. Keep mindful of the thickness and it should work fine.

A built in is a whole nuther animal.

10. it shouldn't be that difficult to put together a spring-loaded mute that mounts to the front of the headstock/end of the neck on a headless where it hinges-
    and to disengage it you could flick it away with your thumb like you do with a Hipshot dtuner.

wouldn't surprise me if Neuser etc. had done this already.

it might get in the way when changing strings though.

also doesn't a muting pad make the 1st fret unusable?
    (as the pad has to be near to the 1st fret to mute the string effectively, so making it difficult to press the string down there)

11. Since it's just velcro, I wouldn't think so. Even with some felt it's not too bad.