Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string dampeners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomstoats, Mar 20, 2005.

1. i play a lot of jazz and am looking to get that real damp sound with hardly any sustian that they got from the early jazz's. so id like to know what do you guys think of the string dampeners that were on the 62 jazz, under the bridge cover, sorta like the ones on a piano. were would be the best place to aquire some from in the uk and are they worth it? also dose the re 62 jazz come with the dampeners under the bridge pick up cover, if not, are they worth fitting if i brought a re 62 or a standard mia jazz, and dose anyone out there have any pictures of them fitted to a bass? :bassist:

2. Try some foam, or a sponge under the strings close to the bridge. I tried several types of foams, the type that cushions are stuffed with, different densities, they all sound a little different. It might be a cheap alternative until you find a genuine bridge cover.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
  4. cheers guys dya know were would be the best place to get a set from in the uk and if there on the re 62 jazz

5. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I've seen people place foam earplugs under the strings in the bridge saddles, that works I suppose.

6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Aside from the foam rubber under the bridge cover, nothing like a good set of real OLD flat wounds to cop that sound. The deader the better!

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
  8. cool, think i mite get one of those. but itd be good to have the authentic fender look with the orginal type of dampener, ive looked in their parts catologe but there not in there, are they made still by any one? and are they fitted to the 62 re

9. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That looks pretty cool, but *expensive*. :eyebrow:

10. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    Try the Tony Levin Pampers diaper as a mute routine. Well, maybe not live unless you are into this look...

11. ilikepie

ilikepie

Jul 23, 2003
    Australia
    Nope, they are not on the 62 RI. You can buy the string mutes from any fender dealer (Part No. 0055049000 - Mute Kit '62 Jazz Bass).

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I use this little foam piece that I found on my dad's work bench. I have no idea what it's for, but it does the job. I just cut it to the width of the bridge, slide it under the strings with the shorter side down, and it fits perfectly.

[​IMG]

13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    A while back someone in the US tried for months to get one of those, and AFAIK was unsuccessful in the end. At the time I think Fodera was the US distributor, but he might have been trying direct also. It's a cool idea, though.