String education

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mlowe, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Hi All,

I've been using the same types of strings on the current bass since new. They have always sounded warm a smooth. Tried some GHS boomers and holy cow it was like playing steel drums for the first hour.

They have since settled and sound pretty good. HEAPS more mid punch.

As pathetic as it may sound, I had no idea there would be that much difference. It sounds like a different bass all up.

Do you guys know of any write up that I can read that explains the different types and the basic make up they have.

I understand different brands etc will sound different but I talking about really basic concepts of strings as I know nothing about them at all. Only that theres 4 or 5 I think.

I have tried searching too but everything was more about brand rather than type.

I am happy with the GHS so far but as I've read some people unhappy about them loosing the tone after a very short time.

I must try many of the ones you guys are talking about to see first hand what I dig. I guess it's all up to taste and there no other way but to try them and ask others.