1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Exchange Club?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by jb6884, Mar 24, 2006.

1. jb6884

jb6884

Jan 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    We should get a string exchange going for the purpose of trying out as many strings as possible.. get about 10 guys, each buy a set of strings or chip in x amount, and after every month with a particular set, you take them off your bass, and mail that particular set to the next guy on the list. I would really like to try a bunch of different strings, and don't mind investing in something like this. Maximum ability to try strings, minimum investment. Perhaps one of our esteemed moderators would be the money collector / list steward... At the end they could be sold and the money re-split, or if we could all agree on who keeps which set - that may work too.

What do you guys think?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's a cool idea, but the big flaw in the plan might be the fact that some DB strings, like Spiros or Velvets, don't really begin to pay off until they've been on the bass for awhile. Others, like Obligatos, are pretty much shot within a year. I don't think I personally could afford to experiment with different strings that much, just from a business point of view. I have to get a predictable sound out of the bass each night, just to pay the bills.

But I do like the idea; if I had another bass besides my working axe, I'd love to try some new flavahs (olivs:smug:)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have to agree with Marcus about keeping a consistent sound. Also, there's a trust factor involved when someone buys a new set of $400 strings and sends them to someone else and gets a set of weed whackers in return. I don't know if I could dig that. Plus I think I'm now set for what strings I want to use on my bass and don't know that I want to experiment anymore. I spent enough already. It sounds like a great idea on paper, but the practical issues of it may be a little too much to overcome.

4. Don't count on me for that, and I'd suggest that interested people use PM to build the team.
    TB won't be held responsible on the outcome of this project.
    The idea is nice, but in practice I don't think this is viable.
    Can you imagine the state of a set of strings after ten owners with different basses?
    Who will agree to spend $400 on a set while the other only pays $60?

Good luck! :)

5. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i've been able to try most of the strings i've wanted by using the wanted section of the for sale forums.
    if you're patient you can find lightly used strings for reasonable prices and if you're lucky you can make straight up trades for the set or sets you want.

all that really takes is some time and an extra set of strings and you can get to trading.

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Ditto, I've used and tried a lot of strings by trading through the TB classifieds. I've bought, I think one string and traded several sets, pairs or singles. On trades, we've always trusted each other, mailed the same day and I've never been let down by a TB member. I usually describe the condition as worse than it is so that no one will be disappointed and no one has misled me yet either.

Formalizing a set of rules around that probably wouldn't make it better, but I am all in favor of encouraging more people to become string traders through the site. I have a big box and will open it up to the group again soon, but I'm in mid-test right now so I'm kind of hording.

I've actually bought very few strings other than my utility standards, which I know work for me. They are too expensive and too important to the sound of the instrument to just go buying things.

My $ .02

7. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    yep, nothing but good experiences through the TB classifieds.
    i am down to only a set of flexocors (on my bass currently which i am happy with) and a set of permanents that i only tried one string from, that's my backup set i guess.
    i don't really have a desire to try anything else for now, some animas maybe but the flex's have the tone on my bass.

8. jb6884

jb6884

Jan 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Wow... didn't expect that reaction. How could TB possibly be held responsible ? You take the same or greater "risk" (if there even is one) on the classifieds day in, day out.

Nevermind!

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I think the difference there is that Talkbass actually makes money from people posting classified ads because only supporting members can post ads.

10. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Well, that's one way to take it. Another is:

There is already a string trading club in talkbass. It's just not prearranged. I frequently post in the classifieds when I have something with some life left in it that I'm willing to offer up in exchange for something I'm interested in trying. I usually get great responses, trust people and it's worked out great for me. I've spent very little money experimenting on strings and I've helped some other people do the same.

Join the fun.

11. That's only true on the BG side of the board.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sorry, forgot about that. I haven't been here for a while.