Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Explanation

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by timidbassist, Jan 23, 2005.

1. What does flat and round wound mean? Also the difference in sound between like nickel and stainless steel. With all the different specs what would give you the most aggressive deep tone? Like thicker strings would right? But would flat or round wound be better?
    Thanks!

2. Try searching the forums. These topics have been dicussed many times, so you should easily find your answers.

3. Hey and welcome to TalkBass! Just a friendly tip, but it's good to search before you post if you have a question because this board moves fast and answers may be out of site. Ok on to your question....

There are basically 4 kinds of strings.

1. Roundwound - The most common kind of string. They rounded ridges on them and feel rough to the touch. They are used for all sorts of music but generally have the sharpest, brightest tone. Great for slap. They really tear up fretless necks though, so beware.

2. Flatwound - Very common. The strings feel smooth to the touch without the ridges present in Roundwounds. The tone is usually mellower than rounds. Common in all kinds of music. Great for those classic tones. Good for slap. Reccomended for fretless instruments.

3. Pressurewound/Halfwound - These are basically roundwound strings but they aren't as rough. Produce tones that are similar to roundwounds. I don't have alot of experience with these but I hear they are good for slap and work well on Fretless or fretted boards.

4. Tapewound - Basically, they are Flatwound strings with nylon tape wrapped tightly arround them. They have tones similar to Flatwounds but are silky, fast, and really soft. Not good for traditional slap tone, but very unique in all aspects. Like butter on a fretless. (I use these on my fretless.)

So if you seek a deep, dark, rich tone, I would reccomend a medium/heavy set of roundwound strings (or halfwounds if you have a fretless). But don't forget that your tome is more dependant on your electronics and your own technique. Good luck!

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thicker strings don't have anything to do with the tone. And besides most strings are (and have to be) similar gauges (thicknesses) to put the right amount of tension on the neck becuase the thicker the string the more tension it will have at the same tuning as a thinner string. That's why the strings get thinner as they go up. For a deep but aggressive sound you should use roundwounds. What brand and style varyes. It depends on the exact sound you want. Some roundwounds are really aggressive some are mellower.

5. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Are you REALLY sure about this? :D

6. Yeah, I was under the impression that the smaller gauge, the twangier the strings.

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    thats tension for ya...

8. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Ummm.

No.

Try again.

9. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Auntie,auntie,can I?
    "A string's thickness has ALOT to to with the tone,as it has the materials,the tension and....and..."
    Gee,I'm stuck....
    Huh,anyway,did I won something? :hyper:

10. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    You win a rocking smile guy!

:bassist:

:D

11. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Sorry my bad :rolleyes: . It's one of those thoughts that came out strange when I put it into words. Yes thickness has lots to do with tone I know that. I've lost the origial thought so I can't really put it into words but I just wasn't in the same mindset when I posted that.

12. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I can get a sound I like better with lighter guage strings... am I insane?

13. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Not at all.
    The gauge stuff is simply a matter of taste: once you established what your instrument,ears and hands like the most,go for it and play your best!