1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

string feel

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Downright_Low, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Downright_Low

Downright_Low

Feb 25, 2008
    I am right now using Coreli 370M strings on my bass.
    I want to try the other gauges, F, TX, since they are also supposedly low tension.

My question is:

What other strings feel like these Corellis?

I've read about tensions for light gauges by other makers, but some are still tighter than the TX gauge. I've played on Flexocor medium, and other typical medium strings. (My left likes less tension :(.) I've thought about Spirocore Weich, Flexocor light, D'Addario light, and even some solo gauges tuned down. But I'm hoping someone out there has tried this actually. I know most everything else will be tighter than the Corellis, but what do you feel comfortable with? I may like something heavier than these 370M, that is, be able to use it.

In terms of sound or tone, I'm more flexible, but I do bow, about 70-80% of the time. Let me know if you need more clarity...Thanks

2. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    These strings sound good and have relatively low tension, but compared to Corellis, are pretty expensive.
    RD

3. Downright_Low

Downright_Low

Feb 25, 2008
    sometimes I wish there was a way of hearing these things before dropping $100+ for them. I guess one can always resell, but I am so curious about feel and sound. I've heard good things about belcanto, being warm sound and soft feel... they are another fantasy in and of themselves... I'm really looking to explore the area between medium and light, basically. I bet there's a variety within both of those categories... thanks!

4. I went from Weichs to 370M, and the Weichs are significantly heavier to play.

I think action matters more than tension though, and the ultimate target is sound... which the Corellis are rather failing on for me.

5. Downright_Low

Downright_Low

Feb 25, 2008
    I like the 370M, because they play good. And they should, being lighter. But as the months go on, I hear my bass changing. It was used to standard Medium gauges, which are significantly heavier than standard light gauges. I would compare it to someone loosing wieght - but the 370M do have depth. Now that I'm really hearing the character of these strings my suspicions at the outset are coming back - that these strings are light for me - in other words, I like them, but I wouldn't go lighter. And I don't think it's even possible... They aren't really bright, though, fortunately, but they are thinner, focused. I've been satisfied, because I have a weak left hand/poor technique, and since I've practiced more my bass is bassier, and sweeter in tone. They've brought bass back to me in a big way - allowed me to practice. But I have to find something just right for me, right? Of course...

How did you like the sound of the Weichs (spirocore, right?)? I love the fact that there are so many choices of gauges and qualities of tone! I actually would like to try to compare the TX to other "light" strings....

6. Weichs, on my bass anyway, are a bit scratchy feeling under the bow and tend to 'false' a bit arco, but have that classic Spirocore pizz tone. They're really quite bright, and very loud. The Corellis have that light, focussed, 'cello-like tone, both arco and pizz, and are definitely easier to play, with one exception: arco harmonics are very hard to get right. Nowhere near the power of the Spirocores.

For me, the Corellis probably aren't the right thing, they were a move in the wrong direction from the Weichs; I'm seriously considering buying something else, tossing up over Belcantos or Evah Pirazzis. But they're nice strings to play.