string ferrules

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Primus_rocks, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Primus_rocks

Jan 26, 2005
    ok so i`m planning out my 6 string bass here and have obviously never built a bass in my life so i was just wondering if anybody was able to help me out here..... I was wondering how much space do i put between each string ferrule on this bass?? i`m making a wood bridge for it and stringing it through the body

thanks a lot guys!
  2. I hope you're already doing this- draw your design full-size on a piece of wood. I use medium density fiberboard- very stable against warping, etc. Plotting out the string spacing actual size will show you exactly where you should put your ferrules & everything else. This can also reveal potential design flaws before ruining expensive wood(or just wasting time). I would also advise you not to expect your 1st bass to turn out perfect- see if you can find out anything about Ken Smith or Joe Zon's 1st instrument- nice, but nothing like what they're producing now.
  3. Primus_rocks

Jan 26, 2005
    Oh don`t worry i`m not expecting anything perfect at all....although i am not even starting it before planning EVERYTHING out because i want it to as good as possible......and i am going to do it on something else other than the wood first.

thanks a lot man!!!
  4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Put the ferrules where you want the strings to go. You want the string run to be as straight as possible over the bridge so they are not pulling the saddle left or right.