String Fiasco on Saturday!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Funkster, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Well we played this private party on Saturday and everything was going great and out of the blue I broke my E string during Play That Funky Music,
    I have not broke a string in ten years. I knew I was safe because I had a extra set in my bag.
    The strings I had were a set from a bunch of misc. strings that I got from a closed down music store.
    We finished the tune and I got out the string put it in the through the bridge and the ball end went right through the hole. Now I'm starting to sweat. After a few brief panic moments I came up with a magiver idea by putting a allen wrench through the eyelet on the string so it won't pull through the hole. I put it through the bridge and tightened and tuned her up and I was good to go for the rest of the night which was only half over.
    Talk about stupid stuff that happens even when you think you got it all covered.
    Thanks for letting me share that.
    Moral of the story! Bring a Back-Up bass;)
  2. Great job McGyver!

I was playing that song at a barbaque this week end only. Good thing you don't have to rely to much on the E string to play it. :rolleyes: :D
  3. Thank's for the tip i'll probably need to use that, one time when i played my strap loosened considerably forcing me to bend down very far and eventually fall over. God that was funny.
  4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I had a similar strap expirence (sorry for getting OT here!), actually this happened a few times: you know, how when you use them for like a month the hole gets bigger then the button goes right through it, well, in the middle of a song (can't remember what one, I think it was a Metallica or a Rush one) it did that, so I grabbed my bass (before it hit the floor or anything) by the B, the neat-o thing was, everytime this happened, I didn't miss a beat, just kept on groovin'. Then, finally I got sick of it, and paid for strap-locks :D.
  5. BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Lemme guess...the string you broke was a
    DR, right?

Moral of the story: bring lots of extra strings,
    and don't ever buy DR.

6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually the moral of the story is don't play Play That Funky Music.

Never broken a string a show, however my 4 is strung BEAD, and my 5 is, well, a 5, so if I did, I'd still be able to rock on even if I did break a string.