Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String for slapping and picking

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kmsimone, Mar 17, 2004.

1. kmsimone

kmsimone

Sep 25, 2003
    This may be impossible but I am looking for a string that I can slap with and get a roundwound tone while still being able to get that vintage fat flatwound sound when playing finger style. Is there anything out there that might possibly fulfill my desire? Someone please help me. I've been playing the bass for over 10 years and I still haven't found the right string. I'll be putting these strings on a G&L L2000. Thanks for the help. :help:

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    maybe try buying strings that have a pleasing slap/roundwound sound and use those normally but roll off the tone controls and turn the neck pickup full on to give you a thumpy flatwound sound. Also use a bit of palm muting for an even thumpier sound.

It is easier to make a roundwound sound like a flat than make flat sound like a round.

Just suggestions. Good Luck

3. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    You might want to look into getting an EQ pedal... to go from crisp slap lines to thumping flatwound fingerstyle is quite a dramatic sound difference. They emphasis different frequencies and have different attack/sustain. My best guess would be to set your amp up for slap and then have an EQ pedal that will get a sound as close to what you want for fingerstyle, maybe even add a compressor to emulate flatwounds.

I also have a G&L L-2000, and I've found DR Hi-Beams to be the best slap strings, as well as being the best all-around strings I've played. They are very flexible and easy to play. Fresh out of the pack they are annoyingly bright, but after a few days they're perfect.

4. I agree quite a bit with the above post. I like to have a brighter slap sound but prefer a near-flatwound/fretless tone when I play fingerstyle. The best advice I can give (cuz it works pretty well for me) is to get a basic set of roundwounds and:

For flatwound tone: Turn down the pickup that closest to the neck, play closer to the back of the bass and turn the tone way down. It'll sound kinda muddy (depending on the bass) but EQ'ing can help. Then, when it comes time to get the brighter tone:

Turn back up the pickup or just crank back the tone knob. Another possible suggestion is to use well-used roundwound strings. I may upset some frequent-stringers here, but I personally don't change my strings very often (maybe once every year or TWO) because i don't like the "new string sound".

Some might read this and say "...uhh, so you play with a crappy tone on nasty-old strings!?!? You would be correct, except I've been told by other bass players "...man, how did you get your bass to sound like that? I LOVE IT!"

Keep in mind, the way you play fingerstyle has a lot to do with it too....

5. kmsimone

kmsimone

Sep 25, 2003
    Thanks for all of the help. I'll look into some medium gauge roundwounds.