Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string gague

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by facet squared, Jul 26, 2000.

1. I am currently using heavy gague strings because I was in a band that played in DGCF tuning (my worst nightmare realized). I'm thinking of making the move back to standard gague for tone reasons.

the only thing really holding me back is that I was told that heavy gague strings give you lower action with less buzz. is this true?

any comments about which gague I should actually be using? I like low action and some of the string noise that comes with it, but not obnoxious noise and fretting out.

I use a Boss ODB-3 bass distortion pedal too if that matters.

opinions? comments? advice?

2. I should also add that I no longer tune down, and now tune to standard EADG.

Also, would switching back to standard gague help keep my neck from warping, because it warps a little every few months.

3. rapido

rapido

Aug 9, 2005
    I read allover the net that DR are the best strings.
    I play slap. Are they best possible strings for slap?
    I have to know cause i wanted to buy 10 packs.
    1. What is better DR Sunbams or DR Lo-riders???
    I know that Sunbams are Nickel Plated Round Core and Lo-riders are Stainless Steel Hex Core strings. On DR page (http://www.drstrings.com/LoRider1.htm) they say that Lo-riders are for slap, pop and tapping. But many people here on Talkbass said that Sunbeams are the best. So I am confused then.
    2. What is better for slap steel or nickel?
    3. What gauges are better for slap 50-110 or 45-105?

4. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    How many threads are you going to post this exact response on? What's the deal?

5. rapido

rapido

Aug 9, 2005
    YES!
    I was posting new replys everywhere and yes i am from Slovenia. They don't sell DR's here. Actually they do and they are like 60$...
    TIME DIVIDER i don't know who you are and expecially how old are you, BUT great people do great things - and you are not one of them. So we can combine that with GREAT PEOPLE DO GREAT MUSIC - and there we have an answer about you.

6. rapido

rapido

Aug 9, 2005
    YES!
    I was posting new replys everywhere and yes i am from Slovenia. They don't sell DR's here. Actually they do and they are like 60$...
    TIME DIVIDER i don't know who you are and expecially how old are you, BUT great people do great things - and you are not one of them. So we can combine that with GREAT PEOPLE DO GREAT MUSIC - and there we have an answer about you.

7. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    C'mon - one more time, just for good measure.

8. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    It's like I'm in the twightlight zone. I thought I had moved to another thread & bam, here it is again. It looks as though rapido has mastered the copy & paste button.

"One more cast to see if I can catch an inapropriate response."

9. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
  10. rapido

rapido

Aug 9, 2005
    All i wanted was a few answers but as i can see now you all don't know the answers to my q. Don't bother next time if you don't know. I see that you are all better than me.
    I rest my case.

11. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    NO, NEXT TIME DON'T BOTHER IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE BASIC RULES OF POSTING - LIKE HOW NOT TO HIJACK A THREAD.

Crawl back under your rock.

12. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    rapido, actually I could give you my opinion of all three. In the last 2 years I've used low riders first then hi beams & fat beams. I had Low riders on a five string for nine months playing in smoky blues clubs, never wiped them down & never got funky looking. I wanted a lil' more detail so I went w/ hi beams but the round core didn"t give me enough tension on my low B. The other strings were fine though. Then I went w/fat beams. Ordered a reg set w/ a custom tapered .130 ordered thru ABT. It didn't do it for me. I have another set actually sealed I'm thinking about selling. I now use Pro Steels. I don't slap in public so I don't know if the DRs would work for slap. We can't tell you what string is going to work for you.
    Perhaps you ought to start fresh & reintroduce yourself. I have to say some of your responses have been hilarious.

13. This guy HAS to be messing with your head Time Divider... seriously come on, I don't care about a language barrier, this dude is just planin moronic. Though his first post where he called you an A-hole almost made me choke I laughed so hard.

14. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    All I can do is shake my head and chuckle. I gave up trying to understand about 2 days ago. :rollno:

15. rapido

rapido

Aug 9, 2005
    TIME DIVIDER: Who is a moran??? Who is insulting now?
    If i am a moran than you must be an idiot. Do you know what idiot is? It's a word for the most seek person on the world.
    A moron has a 4 degree of most seek person.
    So then i feel lucky if i'm only that.
    DON'T MAKE JOKES FROM SEEK PERSONS-that is not good.

16. Archon113

Archon113

Oct 21, 2004

Am I the only one who has no idea what this is supposed to mean?

17. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Nope. Not at all. Join the club.

18. You know I work with people who you sound just like.. especially with the unintelligable phrasing and spelling mistakes.. and you know what, I hate getting reminded of work, so please refrain from posting!

BTW, I work with 6-8 years olds. :ninja:

19. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Strings with more tension can typically have the relief and action lower than low tension strings.

If you put a new set of strings that are lower tension, you may need to add some relief of the neck (loosen the truss rod) and possible tweak the saddle heights.

If the bass is setup for playing heavy strings tuned down, you may not need any neck adjustment when going with a lighter gauge set at standard tune. Check out the D'Addario site, and they have a tension document that tells you the tension for each gauge string as they are tuned to the different pitches. You should be able to figure out what gauge tuned to standard is close to your heavy gauge tuned down.

Dave

20. rapido

rapido

Aug 9, 2005
    You know I work with people who you sound just like.. especially with the unintelligable phrasing and spelling mistakes.. and you know what, I hate getting reminded of work, so please refrain from posting!
    BTW, I work with 6-8 years olds. :ninja:

I really don't speak english that good. Does that make me unintelligable? i speak 4 languages. i'm sorry if i reminded you of your work, but Time Divider called me a ... and i had to reply and explain to him what the word means.
    Otherwise i have a mentally handicaped person in my family.
    Perhaps i know better than others...

I think that at this moment people in Niger need us more than ever before.
    Please HELP in any way possible, tell others.
    http://www.concern.net/pressroom/niger/index.php
    http://www.globalgiving.com/ac/ctry00niger1.html
    http://marian.typepad.com/marians_blog/2005/08/niger_donate_to.html