String gauge and it's effect(s) on sound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PAguy, Jan 22, 2006.

1. PAguy

Aug 19, 2005
    I was wondering what effect string gauge has on the sound. I've been using 45-105 rounds on my Fender Am. Jazz and 50-105 flats. I think I'm going back to flats though.

I played my buddy's MIM Jazz w/the stock strings, and I noticed they are much thinnner gauge than I've been using. I could actually do a string bend on his bass, whereas on mine it's like trying to move a stationary object.

Anyway, I'm looking to buy another set of flats soon, so I'm just wanting some recomendations on what gauge to purchase.
  2. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    I used the 45-105 gauge for a few years thinking that I was getting more sound from them. About 9 months back I tried some 40-95 gauge boomers and Smith Slapmasters. I love the lighter gauge. They are very playable and I have no loss of any volume. I would evan say that I have a little better sound from them. They seem to be more articulate across the whole spectrum. Thumbs up from me for lighter gauge strings.

As far as flats go. I love Labella's. They are the most musical flatwound I've tried. I have tried the, Roto's, Fenders, Chromes, And the Labella's. Fenders come close as well as Chromes, but the Labella's are just right. They are a little pricey up front, but they will last for YEARS. No kidding, they just sit there and give the same sound month after month.

Again, I would go with the lightest gauge. I have a set of these in the 50-109 gauge and while I like them very much and have no problem playing them, they are a bit of a pain to fit into the tuning peg on my Standard jazz. I have them off right now as both my Jazz basses are wearing rounds. I will probably put the flats back on sometime today, cause I miss that jazzbass with flats sound.
  3. PAguy

Aug 19, 2005
    Thanks a bunch! That info was exactly what I was looking for.
  4. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Heavier strings have a deeper timbre than light strings, while the lighter string provide better definition. Go with a 45-65-80-100 set and you will have the best of both worlds.
  5. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I have just gone that route as well
    always used 45-105 untill i got my HW1 Jazz with stock Fender's on them and loved the feel of them. i was told they are Fender superbass 40-100's (in fact this was also my first time with Nick's as well)
    I find i get more definition as well out of the lighter strings and find the sound more even across the 4 strings although that could just be the brand im using

6. I just ordered these for my 4-string (tuned B-E-A-D) with a 34" scale:

Bass Pro Steel .075 Long
    Bass Pro Steel .105 Long
    Bass Pro Steel .120 Long Taper
    Bass Pro Steel .145 Long Taper

They'll be here in two days or so. This is an experiment. I have no idea how this is going to sound or feel. Currently, I have nickel roundwounds, .060, .080. .100, .128 on it. It'll be interesting, to say the least.
  7. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Whoa! Fatties for real. Those are crossbow material. Get out the hand grip my friend. I hope you have lots of Motrin on hand. :D
  8. Heh... I have plenty of ibuprofin in the apartment, as well as some acetaminophen with codeine, so I am pretty well set, I think. >:}