Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string gauge for a 5string in Bb?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by (hed)-less, Apr 13, 2003.

1. hey, i dont know very much about string types and gauges etc; and so i need a little advice. my band tunes down to Bb, and i play a 5 string bass at:
    Bb Eb Ab Db Gb.

though its only a half step down i still dont like the floppier string tension...i just love the feel of a standard tuned bass...i hate floppy strings. anyway i was wondering what kind of string gauge and string type (flatwound, roundwound, etc) any one may be able to suggest/recommend which will allow me to tune down that far yet keep my strings tighter.

cheers

AnT

2. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    OK, a lot of 5 string players use a .125 to .135 for the B string.

I would suggest a .140 or .145, but I don't know where you could get them.

Another option would be to use a Flatwound B string. I hear they have higher ension than rounds.

3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    DR Lowriders have a hex core and are stiffer than strings wound on a typical round core. You can probably get the B string in several gauges, and they come in stainless steel or nickel. The stainless steel will typically be a bit brighter than the nickel.

I would suggest a .130 or .135 if you're tuning down.

jd