1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String gauge for F# tuning?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CavanMichaelide, Oct 28, 2013.

1. CavanMichaelide

CavanMichaelide

Oct 28, 2013
    What gauge string should I use for this tuning? really stuck because I can't find anything thicker than .135 and they're just not cutting it!

2. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    According to the almighty Google, Rotosound has a Drop Zone 66 set that has a .175 for an F#, which sounds about right. Circle K Strings has them in gauges from .166 to .190.

3. CavanMichaelide

CavanMichaelide

Oct 28, 2013
    Thank you!

4. Crazy_Climer

Crazy_Climer

Jan 15, 2012
    Central WA
    I see it's already been mentioned, but Circle K strings was going to be my suggestion. Now... if only there was someone who made flat-wound strings for the same purpose!

5. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
  6. I never seen the Point to going down F#. Am going to say A or even G is as far as I would go.

7. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Or tune you bass if you have a 5 or 6 stringer to Bb standard :

Bb F Bb Eb Ab Db

A# F A# D# G# C# in sharps :p

8. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    I tune my 4 to octave down E - a place for everything . . . .

9. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I think you should tune your E-string UP to F#!! Buck the trend!! Quit playing so low no one can hear you and make music that's heavy due to good song writing instead of low tunings.

OK, I got my "get off my lawn" old-guy-rant out of the way.

Good luck.

10. Am going to try that.

11. Yeah G# sounds about right;) but of course you still need to find a good F# and C# string:smug:

12. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Then you are more in the range of .180 for the F# and probably around .220 for C#

13. I Can understand what your getting at the Lowest you should go is A. Maybe G# at the lowest other wise its sounds like a fart.

14. Depends on the scale length a Circle K .254 makes a good F#(11.56hz) @ 40":D
    I play bass guitar because I love making that low thunderous sound but yeah that time/place thing whatever:rolleyes:

15. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    *TB user posts thread asking for tips on lower gauge strings.*

*Gets opinions from people that don't like lower tunings.*

Looks about right.

16. In September of 1999 .135 was the biggest string I could find but I it to an F# anyway.
    OP I feel your pain and frustration but there is hope for you now.

17. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    xD I can't even imagen what I would do with a stirng like that

18. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Yes. Because tuning below the range of human hearing or what your amp can reproduce is... well I dunno, seems strange to me.

I like the super low bass notes that pipe organs make. But look a the size of the pipes!! Those subsonic notes are great but can your bass guitar make them as nicely? I've only heard a small hand full of basses and amps that can handle a low B string let alone going down to an F#.

Hey, do what you gotta do. String your bass up with aircraft cables and bits of cheese for all I care. Just don't complain when no one can hear your bass in the mix.

Now, get off my lawn!!

19. I just find it pointless. Its going to sound like a fart anyways which I tryed it a few times.