Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String gauge for tuning in 5ths

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tim__x, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I quite interested in "Classical tuning" or tuning by 5ths (instead of the standard 4ths) and I was wondering what kind of string gauges would I need for a E-B-F#-C#-G# setup as opossed to a E-A-D-G-C tuning?

2. My guess is that you'd want something like this:

.105-.080-.050-.028-.018

That last one would have to be plain. I don't think anyone makes wound strings with gauges thinner than .021.

You might want to consider going down two whole steps and tuning CGDAE, in which case you could use:

.120-.090-.065-.040-.026 or thereabout.

3. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks for the help I'll see if I can find any company making wound strings at .018 gauge and if I can't find any good ones I'll try out your second sugestion (SPL?)

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I may be mistaken, but I believe a couple companies make strings for tuning in fifths. LaBella, maybe? But Peter is right, you'll have a much easier (and less expensive) time if you go for the CGDAE, which I believe is what most fifth-tuning strings are made for. However, if you look hard enough and call around some string companies, they should be able to help you once you know what you want.

I agree with all of Peters string guage choices except the B. I think that the .80 might be too tight in comparison to the others. I would suggest something in a .75 or .70. Just IMO.

5. Yeah, .075 would probably be best for that B.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    that sounds like a most interesting idea...anyone else fiddle around with this? it seems to make for some el coolio intervals without too much of a stretch.