String gauge for tuning in 5ths

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tim__x, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I quite interested in "Classical tuning" or tuning by 5ths (instead of the standard 4ths) and I was wondering what kind of string gauges would I need for a E-B-F#-C#-G# setup as opossed to a E-A-D-G-C tuning?
  2. My guess is that you'd want something like this:

That last one would have to be plain. I don't think anyone makes wound strings with gauges thinner than .021.

You might want to consider going down two whole steps and tuning CGDAE, in which case you could use:

.120-.090-.065-.040-.026 or thereabout.
  3. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks for the help I'll see if I can find any company making wound strings at .018 gauge and if I can't find any good ones I'll try out your second sugestion (SPL?)
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I may be mistaken, but I believe a couple companies make strings for tuning in fifths. Labella, maybe? But Peter is right, you'll have a much easier (and less expensive) time if you go for the CGDAE, which I believe is what most fifth-tuning strings are made for. However, if you look hard enough and call around some string companies, they should be able to help you once you know what you want.

I agree with all of Peters string guage choices except the B. I think that the .80 might be too tight in comparison to the others. I would suggest something in a .75 or .70. Just IMO.
  5. Yeah, .075 would probably be best for that B.
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    that sounds like a most interesting idea...anyone else fiddle around with this? it seems to make for some el coolio intervals without too much of a stretch.