String Gauge Help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Whitechapelle, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Whitechapelle

Whitechapelle

Mar 4, 2017
    I'm going to need some new strings for my 5-string SR505. I'll be playing in a band that does a lot of drop tuning, such as drop B and drop A. I've searched online a bit and can't find what I'm looking for. Any suggestions? The standard light strings I have on now get too slinky when I try to drop tune them.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    GHS Big Core Bass

3. Whitechapelle

Whitechapelle

Mar 4, 2017
    How far down are these strings able to drop tune? Also, what's the life like on there strings? will I need to change them often?

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    What is drop-B on a 5? Your standard lowest note is already B.

Drop A is just a whole step down on the B string. Replace that one with a heavier single if it gets too loose. Go up .010 or .020 from what you have now on that string.

Jon Moody likes this.
  5. Whitechapelle

Whitechapelle

Mar 4, 2017
    Okay, I'll try that. Thanks for the help!

6. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    What is the complete list of tunings you will be using? BEADG, BF#BEA and AEADG? If so you'll need an extra-light 4 string set (.090 or .095 E) for the top 4 plus a single .140/.145 for B/A. No pre-packaged set will be suitable (although Kalium Strings have light drop tune sets).
    A standard set will be too tight when tuning up the top 4 strings by 2 semitones.
    Also, what are your favourite gauges for standard BEADG?

nice_hat likes this.
  7. Whitechapelle

Whitechapelle

Mar 4, 2017
    I settled on some medium gauge D'Addarios. Thanks for all the help guys!

8. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    A medium gauge set will have higher strings too tight in drop B and the lowest string too loose tuned to A. However i guess you mean the guitars will be tuned to drop B not necessarily yourself. But still, using a single .145 will really help for A and is fine at B also. Make sure it's a taperwound, the D'Addario .145T are very flexible and harmonic i find.

9. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    It really would be a good idea to let us know the tunings you will be using so we can advise a suitable custom set. A pre-packaged set will very likely not be suitable (the set you mention is not, for A).