Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Gauge Options for 8 String Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jjo, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Jjo

Jjo

Jun 30, 2005
    Hello all. Anyone here use an 8 string bass with unpaired strings? I just recently got a Galveston 8 string and want to get a backup set together for when I break a string. I'm thinking that the higher strings appear to be close to a regular 8 string or 7 string bass.

-JJ :hyper:

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I would believe that your best bet is Conklin - Snakeskins or SIT Power Steel.

How is the Galveston?

3. Jjo

Jjo

Jun 30, 2005
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Yeah I like the Galveston quite a bit. They really are actually nice instruments. Particularly the current models appear to have a lot of pride put into their craftmanship. The 8 string plays really well. The action may be a little too close for some. The low F# and B can get a little flabby but when it's plugged in and running it really get's hidden by way of the volume of sound. I took to the high strings right away but the low b and F# are still a force for me to get used to. I'm always reaching to them as if they were the low E or 5 string Low B.

-JJ

4. Elros is right. You can get 4, 5, 6 or 7 string sets. And the low F#, high F, and high A# are sold separately (about 6 or 7 bucks for the individual strings, and $60ish for sets).

A standard 7 string set would be B through high F, buy a low F# to go with it and you're ready.

I'm a 6 stringer ready to switch to 8. However, my wife would kill me for spending 4 or 5 grand on a Conklin (regardless of how much they're a work of art; I'll just have to admire John Turner and Stew's basses from afar). I'm seriously looking at those Galvestons for my birthday in November. I read a number of reviews. There's a few consistent issues that I've seen.
    1) no height adjustment on the bridge, so you can't set the action.
    2) very close string spacings. They say conklin 7's have more space than a galveston 8. (but, i think this can be adapted to. my 6 string is pretty narrow and I'm used to it. this 8 didnt look that much narrower.)
    3) a bit neck-heavy. (can maybe be fixed if the rear staplock is moved elsewhere. possibly)

There were some other issues, but very minor. All in all, it was said to be a steal for a $500 8-string bass. Said to have good tone and looks great. I'm trying to find where I can get a replacement 8 string bridge with saddle height adjustments on it.

So how do you like it?

If I happen across someplace that sells a good bridge that could replace the original, I'll let you know. It'll let you fix the floppy F# and B strings, which seems to be the main gripe everyone has about it.

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I hate bumping old threads, but I figured it was better than making a new one.

I play an 8-string (unpaired) and I'm really not digging these SITs or the Conklin strings. In the past ~4 years since this thread's opening, have there been any other companies that make sets for an 8-string (F#-F)? What about custom string makers?

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Kabumpity bump bump?

7. Octave4Plus.com

I believe it's affiliated with Garry Goodman somehow. From what I hear you can get strings made to any gauge you want.

8. madleg

madleg

Jul 12, 2013
    Savannah, Ga
    I am also looking to string a UB8000. I am trying to do this for as little money as possible. Anyone know if the D'addario super long scale pro steels would work? Am I correct in thinking that any brand tapered strings are a no go because of the thru-body string mounts?

9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Many strings will work thru-body; Circle K just recommends it because they have a short taper by comparison.

What are you hoping to tune to? B-Bb? I don't know if D'Addario makes any strings that will satisfactorily tune down to an F#, and I don't think you'll be able to fit a large F# string through the body any way.

10. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Luthier
    Rotosound also makes strings for an 8, you must get the Drop tuning set (.175"-85") and add the other, thinner strings to the set (.65", .45", .30", .20" or so). But I guess for peoples in the USA SIT/Conklin is an easier choice ;)

11. I play Circle K strings on my 6.It is a string thru and I use a .182 for my low F# but my bass had to be modified to fit the strings.:ninja:I am the luthier of that bass so its not like I voided the warranty or anything:ninja: