1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

string gauge question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by unclebass, Mar 5, 2013.

1. I am looking to replace my strings and have a question concerning gauge. My fender blacktop jazz has .045-.105s on it, and I have a squier standard jazz that has .045-.100s. I have read on fender website that regarding setup, larger diameter strings may require additional pickup spacing as they have a larger range of vibration. Is this the case, even though smaller diameter strings generally require less tension to achieve the same note? I want to set up both with the lowest action possible, and want the string gauge that will give me the results I am after. I know that the flatwound 77s (.045-.105) that I had on the squier gave me super low action, but I want nickel rounds, I prefer the sound they give. Anyone who has used multiple gauges in the past may be able to provide useful information on this subject. I now defer to the professionals.......GO!

2. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
  3. I know how to do setup, that is not a problem. What I need to know is if larger string gauges indeed vibrate in a larger range than smaller gauges. If this is the case, then smaller gauge strings should allow me to set my action just a little lower, since their range of vibration is slightly smaller. I don't know if this is true, or if the opposite is true, or if it really makes no difference. If it is true, I would be willing to go to smallest gauges available.

4. I will likely set up blacktop jazz with new strings, and move old strings to squier to see how they do. Just want to go the right direction with strings I plan to purchase. Would be no big deal if bass strings were priced like guitars.