1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

STRING GAUGE QUESTION

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by unclebass, Mar 21, 2013.

1. What would be the main differences between a set of .035-.095s and .045-.105s in a set of nickelwounds. Deciding which gauge to go to for my next set. I have an idea of which one I want to try, but want to know from someone who may have played both...

2. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I play 45-105 and the lightest I have used are the 40-100. String tension is a difference. You may loose a little bottom end with light guage. Try the Roto Sound swing bass nickles . They have blue silk on both ends. Bassstringsonline.com they're like $16 a set. The 40-100 guage.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Little bit less tension and little bit more fundamental to the notes played.

4. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Thicker string gauges have more tension than light strings have. So this will slightly affect the sound of the strings. What are you looking for?

5. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    This. How it will effects your sound depends on your instrument setup and your playing style. They could sound larger and fuller if you have a soft touch/have high action, or more aggressive/noisy if you play harder with the strings closer to the frets.

6. Not sure which sound I would prefer...I like the funk sound from those 70's songs, but also like good heavy bass sound from more modern music. I have a Squier Standard Jazz with 45-100s and like the feel of those more than the 45-105s on my blacktop jazz. Looks like I will have to break down and buy a lighter set and heavier set, likely Curt Mangans, and try them out. Since they are both basically the same instruments, I can switch them between the two to see which sounds better on each bass. I am thinking that I will like the lights more, but I will find out soon enough.

7. MeLikeDaLowNote

MeLikeDaLowNote

Sep 22, 2012
    NJ
    Unclebass, the best advice I cam give is to try them it. It might be 70$ for the strings and a setup but it can completely change the sound and feel of your bass. I've fallen in love again with my Warwick after going from medium to extra light with a proper set up. I especially recommend it if your not getting a desired tone or feel from your current main bass.

8. I'll save alot because I am able to set up my own bass. Just a little time, and I got plenty of that. Will likely try Curt Mangan Extra Lights, 40-60-70-95. Leaning that way for my Squier standard jazz. Have roto77s on the blacktop jazz, I need to give them a chance so I will try to restrain myself for at least 6 months to see how they settle in.

9. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    45-100's will be tighter in the trebles and looser on the basses. If you like Funk, remember that Victor Wooten uses 40/55/75/95 and Mark King goes even lighter with something like a .030 on top. With a Squier J, you may not want to go that light due to the SC P/U's.