String Gauge?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Nomad, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Nomad

Mar 9, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    After deciding to buy and enter the world of bass (Also counting the countless questions I have asked.), I have decided to go with the Essex Bass (Model SX SPB-62). Browsing through the accessories I came across the D'addario strings, and because of hearing good things I have decided maybe to purchase these along with my new and first bass.

My question is, what is the difference between .09 and .10 string gauge? I know it's probably tonal difference, but what should I get? If not D'addario strings, what do you recommend/like?

Thanks. :smug:
  2. Well, generally, you'll find that lighter gauge strings (in this case, the .09) feel looser and play faster. Heavier strings tend to feel tighter and, well, heavier. However, a heavy gauge is good if you like to play hard and don't want too much buzzing. It's all personal preference. At first, you'll probably want to get a medium gauge, and try different gauges later on in your bass playing career.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    .09 or .10 are guitar gauges... I use D'Addario XL in .045 to .105... Great strings

4. Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Keep in mind that gauge refers to thickness or diameter of the strings and since there’s no industry standard, one manufacturers’ 10’s may feel like another’s 9’s and visa versa. We’re not trained to go by tension when deciding on strings but it does make more sense:

Say you and your instrument were set up for the 9’s that were on it when you got your setup done and they happened to have 100 lbs total tension on them. Then you tried a set of 10’s from a different manufacturer than the 9’s aforementioned but they happened to have the same tension. You really like your new set of 10’s and you may then say something like, “I guess I like 10’s now” when you really mean, “I like my tension at about 100 lbs.”

Dopey example, I know, but you get the picture. Interestingly enough, most manufacturers do not post their tensions.
  5. Nomad

Mar 9, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    I see what your saying.

So one's .09 can be anothers .10. Although these are used as a guideline, the actual tension will differ.