Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String gauge

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DenisW, Sep 7, 2003.

1. DenisW

DenisW

May 5, 2002
    Cork,Ireland
    I use 45-105 gauge Strings.I would like to try lighter gauge Strings say 45-100.I do not want to go too light and I do not want to spend a fortune finding out.Is there any difference in sound ,tension and playability between 105s and 100s and why do people play 100s instead of 105s?

2. easier to play faster less tension. sound terrible downtuned though :bassist:

3. what brand you use? and also, what kinda strings you want, obviously lighter gauged, but flats?,rounds?(nickel or steel)

4. DenisW

DenisW

May 5, 2002
    Cork,Ireland
    I use DR Hi-Beams.They just come in Steel.I love these Strings.

5. I've had high beams in different gauges...just go to www.juststrings.com and look at the gauges that the highbeams come in.

people say that thicker gauges help make a fuller sound on the bass as well as end up a tad tenser, but to me, it's all subtle differences unless you use dramatically different gauges, like let's say a .115 E string as opposed to a .100 .... I personally prefer lighter gauges because my basses keep 'em nice and tight when I detune, and also cuz I think they feel more comfortable w\ me...

6. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    USE .050 - .105 (or .135 with a 5-string)... I put my .050 - .135 D'addario strings on, a million times tighter and thicker sounding man... I didn't have a tuner here, so I had to tune by ear, I thought I was in tune and the strings were tighter. I was one step down!! The sound is sooooooooooooooooo much thicker with heavier guaged strings. Even dropped, when I tune to GCGCF, I can actually hear the G (5) now... :):D...
    If you don't detune, the heavier guages are still thicker sounding man, but whatever...

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    If you like to tap or play really fast parts, then I would say that a lighter guage would really make a differrence. Personally going from 45-105 to 45-100 really won't make a really big difference. You'd probobly start to notice the lighter tension until 40-100 or 40-95.

8. My experience with 45 - 100 and 45 - 105 Dean Markley Blue Steels on an Epiphone Jack Casdy bass:

100 - Slightly less bass on lower notes and a generally faster feel. Better if you have a light touch.

105 - Noticeably heavier feel, response almost as quick as the 100s, but these are much better if you want to dig in.

In the end, you really do have to try them for yourself. There's no getting around spending the bread unless you know someone with the same bass, and the exact gauge you want to try.

Good luck.

Mike

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use .45-1.02's....