Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Gauges and Drop D tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lo-end, Sep 23, 2001.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I was wondering If when you are using Drop D tuning or some variation (like C G C F or Db Ab Db Gb) you need to have a thicker gauge string than normal for the low note? Usually, the strings are .20 gauge different from one another, but would you need an extra .10 for the low D? (or C?)

For example, if you were using strings gauges .045 .065 .085 .105 for standard tuning, would you use the same gauges, or would you use a .115 for the low D? I also heard of people using .055 .075 .095 .115 for Drop D tuning. So what do you guys think?

For starters, I happen to know that Chi Cheng of the Deftones uses .065-.120 strings and tunes C G C F.

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I wouldn't worry about it, unless you want to use Drop-D 100% of the time.

3. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    i use the same strings, i mean, tuning one string down one step wont bug it much, or 1 1/2 steps, wont mess you up too much, actually, tuning down with standard strings will make you able to slap better, just me $0.02

4. Youy dont need to use a thicker gauge, i used to tune C F A# D# (that´s a half step higher than the lowest 4 strings of a 5stringer) even if the string were all tuned lower, i could play just fine with a standard gauge.. The tension was very loosen, but the notes kept well defined.. and my bass is a 34 scale..

but if you tune in drop D -or Db or even C - you won´t get such a floppy tension as if you tuned down all the strings..

So you dont necessarely (spelling?) have to use thicker strings..

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Im going to do this as a permanent change. I will be getting a new MM Stingray very soon, and I am going to tune my Squier Precision Bass C G C F so Ill have 2 basses with 2 different tunings to choose from.

By the way, my squier doesn't suck. It has a Badass II bridge, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups, and a pro setup from the best luthier in Philadelphia, Mr. Ron Ruggiero :cool:

So, unless you have any other advice, im gonna go with something along the lines of .065 .085 .105 .125 gauge strings.

Soon I will be joining the ranks of the dark side. :eek:

edited for spelling

6. That's thick strings mate, even in C G C F, or whatever, but good luck.

THe idea of having two tuned basses is good, but make sure you've got a backup for both, or can play your tunes on the wrong bass ('cos you'd be kicking yourself if you're at a gig, your bass fails you, you've got a reserve, but you can't use it!