1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String gauges for an odd tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MgrBaklava, Nov 30, 2018.

1. MgrBaklava

MgrBaklava

Nov 30, 2018
    I’m looking to have a bass tuned like a violin, that is:
    A low g string (an octave below open g)
    A standard d string
    A high a string (an octave above open a)
    And a high e string (2 octaves above open e)
    I know it’s possible, but I’m unfamiliar with string gauges, do you guys have any advice?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  2. Are we talking about a standard 34" scale bass?

If so, you can start with something like 85(G) - 60(D) - 40(A) - 25(E).

3. MgrBaklava

MgrBaklava

Nov 30, 2018
    Thank you!

4. Just so you know, my recommendation is based on the tension figures for the GHS Bass Boomers.
    Depending on what brand/type of strings you end up using, you might want to experiment further with the gauges.

E 025 - 46.4 (lbs.)
    A 040 - 42.3
    D 060 - 42.2
    G 085 - 39.2

MgrBaklava likes this.
  5. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    More even tension would be 90 60 40 25, as the rough rule for equal tension (derived using physics) for fifths is adjacent gauges in ratio 3:2.
    The top .025 will feel very tight though and some .025s might break, worth trying anyway.
    For lower tension: a roundwound .022 high F from a 7 string set (Conklin Guitars sell them as singles from their site). Or, a roundwound guitar string .024 or .022 with a bass ball-end threaded onto it, if you have a 2+2 headstock and top load the string.

An alternative lighter set would be something like 85 55 35 22w (i've used this).

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    That's called 5ths tuning around here.
    Search for that term and you'll find a number of threads about it with info about strings other people use.