String Gauges

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sascrotch, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I have no clue what String Guage my Bass has. I was looking here and i have no clue what the numbers mean. Can anyone help me out?
  2. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Get a caliper or micrometer and measure them.

The E string should measure between .100" and .095".
  3. Not necesarily! My E-string is .105, and they can be up to .110.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, I've seen Es as thin as .090 and as thick as .127
  5. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Would changing string gauges cause these massive blisters that I have on the ends of my fingers? I recently went with a slightly larger guage (I don't honestly remember what I got) of GHS boomers so I could tune down to C without losing too much quality sound. Although I am relatively a beginner (less than 3 years with a 4 string), I had some good callouses built up, but they blistered up pretty good after I changed my strings. Any ideas/opinions?
  6. bass goddess

bass goddess

Apr 1, 2001
    blisters are a big problem for me, what with me wanting to keep my hands soft and femminine. i think the best thing is to do is to suffer the pain and realise that after a few months of pain you will have nice hard fingers thta dont feela nyhting.. i was thibking about taking a screw driver to my baby tonight but im sortof afraid now after that conflicting advice. it would be helpfull if maybe soemone could tell me exactly what to do. E-X-A-C-T-L-Y-, so i dont screw up my baby. hee hee, i thought about taking her in to a shop but i dunno how muich it'll cost and if thye will think i am dumb or not. please help!!!