Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Gauges

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by B166ER, Aug 7, 2003.

1. I'm having trouble figuring out what gauge of string to use on a 35" neck. The heavier the gauge the lower the string will sound already but on a 35" neck it will just make the string extremely taught. Should I use light or heavy gauge strings?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    WHy not medium?

3. Thicker strings will always have to be tighter.

Im sure someone here can explain the exact physics equation regarding string tension, but it pretty much says that a thicker string has to have more tension to reach the same note as a thinner string with less tension. Also, the longer the string, the more tension you will need to reach the same note.

Hmm.. did i make any sense there? I hope so. The bottom line is, if you find hard to play with really tight strings, then switch to light or ultra-light strings, or get a bass with a 33'' neck instead of a 35'' :)

Remember, though, that more string tension usually gives you a bassier, more low-end sound, while little tension gives you a more mid-range, clunkier sound (my sound ;) ).

Hope this helps a bit.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ^^ if you like wwhat he said... then use light gauge.