1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String guage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ed_sped2, Dec 21, 2012.

1. ed_sped2

ed_sped2

Dec 21, 2012
    Hi everyone! I am a guitarist turned bassist, and I know very little about the tricks of the trade. I played guitar for 17 years before I joined a band in Kansas City that needed a bass player. I've had a Cort Curbow laying around for ages that I've been using as a stop-gap, and I am currently in the market for a Warwick Thumb, FNA, or Fortress.

The strings that I am currently using are too heavy a gauge for my taste. I'd like to preserve some low end thump, but I'd also like a little bit of pop and snap on the high end. I figured I'd solicit input from the masters before cycling through a ton of different strings.

Any thoughts?

2. Love the Circle K balanced sets. I tune to D standard most of the time and use the .118 balanced sets. I have a couple E basses too and use the .112 balanced sets. It's a noticeable difference, IMO.

3. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish. Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    D'Addarios! Use the regular light gauge and you'll be happy :)

4. Definitely so! I love light gauge D'Addario ProSteels. You can get a great metallic, bright, punchy tone from them and still have that "thump" that you want in the low end. I was blown away the first time I strung my ADJ Bass with them.

5. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish. Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Yeah, ProSteels are where it's at. That or the the Nickelwound ones aren't bad either :)

6. ed_sped2

ed_sped2

Dec 21, 2012
    I'll give these a go. I've currently got some half-rounds on my Curbow, and I hate them. They are definitely not my thing.

7. You'll get definitely get that awesome high-end pop that you're looking for. What music do you play?

8. I agree with the D'Addario recommendations. I like EXL-170s but also use 165s on one bass. Thicker E and A.

9. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
  10. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I've always used GHS Bass Boomers, medium-light gauge, whenever possible. I like the lower tension, and these have plenty of bass response. I only bump up to a very slightly heavier gauge (medium) if I'm detuning the low E string past D or so.