Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Guages for Odd scale and tuning?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ii7-V7, Jan 14, 2006.

1. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    What strings would you use for a 30" fivestring tuned D through Bb. That is D G C F Bb. One whole step below the five higher strings on a six string.

Chad

2. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Anyone?

3. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Hmm...that's a tough one. What I'm doing is tuning *up*, anywhere from a half step to three half steps, on a 30" scale four string. And that's with flats. What sort of strings did you have in mind?

I'd start by taking alook at D'Addario's string tension PDF file.

4. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Wow, so you are tuned G, C, F, Bb?

I was thinking of using a lighter tension five string set with a low and tuning up one and a half steps to get my desired notes. My thought being that if you take a five string and cut off the first three frets thats about what you get anyway.

Chad

5. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I'm using the four high strings from a six-string set (ADGC, low to high), and tuning up, usually to CFBbEb, but the other day, I pulled off the TI Jazz Flats that were on to try out a custom set of D'Addario Chromes guitar strings I thought would work for fifths tuning in cello range. Turns out the .020 string I got for my "A" would break at G#.

Last night I put on a set of D'Addario Prelude medium 4/4 cello strings. The silk at the ball end is over the bridge, but it doesn't seem to be affecting the sustain badly. Sounds great acoustic, but I haven't plugged her in yet. I just have to make an adjustment, because the A string is buzzing a little up near the nut. I wanted to use light strings, but the mediums were all I could find on short notice.

For my "contralto" tuning, I'm using TI Jazz Flats or Rotosound Jazz Bass flats, because those are the only flats I've found in six string sets. Rounds are much easier to find. I have a little trouble with the low A string with these, because there's no silk winding to keep the wraps together. Haven't broken one, though.