1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

string guages

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brianh, Aug 17, 2007.

1. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    Ok, so this is a completely subjective question but I'm having problems with string guages. I play several different basses for lots of different types of gigs, so consistent setup is a challange when trying to get the right sound/feel.

Does anyone know what specific string guages are used by some of bass legends that do lots of different gigs (i.e. Will Lee, Nathan East, Pino Palladino, Anthony Jackson, etc...)?

I tend to be more of a groove player with an agressive touch. However, I also play lots of jazz and gospel where I need to be more agile. I generally use heavier strings (.50, .70, .85, .105, .125)...

ok...enough pointless description...what's everyone using?

2. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Everything is a compromise. I just switched from 40-60-80-100-128 to 45-65-80-105-125. I think for hanging in the groove the heavier strings are better. On the other hand, extended jams with lots of fast improve is easier with the lighter gauge strings. I used to swear by 45-65-80-100.

Dave

3. bkief1

bkief1

Dec 25, 2005
    > "I used to swear by 45-65-80-100."

I still do!