Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string guages

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by reveille_509, Oct 5, 2000.

1. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    Does the thickness of the strings make a difference in the sound? If not what are the advantages of thicker or thinner guage strings? I personally use the thickest guage of ernie ball slinky bass strings.

2. Oh yes, string gauge does make a difference
    When I was "in my Mark King years" I tried a set of strings Mark King used (uses?): 30-50-70-90. A very light gauge set, a dream if you're into "machine gun slap & pop". Enables you to play very fast with a minimum of effort. Such a light gauge lacks balls if you ask me. No solid bass from such a set.
    A heavy gauge sounds better if you ask me, a 40-100 or 45-105 works best for me. YMMV

Bert

3. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    cool Treb

what brand were that?
    I bet the guitar player(s) of your band laughed at your G string in those times

4. If I'm not mistaken they were Superwound strings.

Bert

5. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    I agree completely. I used to use elites 30-90's and that was on a short scale bass too! Very fast and great for string bending (if you like that sort of thing), but absolutely no beef behind them. Sure, you can enhance the bass sound with EQ, etc. But IMHO the fatter the string, the better the tone.

I use 45-105's now which I find great for my style of finger playing as it suits my attach and gives each string just the right amount of resistance. Although I tend to agree that lighter strings are better for slapping.