Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String height (fretless) question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JAL, Feb 24, 2005.

1. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hello all. Own a warwick corvette 4 strn. fretless. Have the strings set up at factory (2 mm treb and 2.5 bass). Using TI flats.
    Problem: Very little mwah. are my strings to high?
    Mwah isnt very important to me, but it would be nice!

2. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I tried rounds for a week, but got scared with the fretboard wear. Besides, im in love with the Tis. I flattened the action a tad; its barely convex now, and it sounds somewhat better. The thing still plays fantastic and sounds oh, so, buttery smooth, with a wee bit of muah. Gosh, i love warwicks. Thanks fer the help, joshua.

3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Try a set of ground wounds. They're round wounds that have the tops ground down. Sort of halfway between a round wound and flat wound.

4. Im using T.I. Flats on a spectorcore fretless fiver. I notice very little difference in mwah between now and with the rounds I had on before (SIT nickle somethings- maybe rockers). If your bass hasn't been professionally set up yet it is possible the nut height is too high as it was on my bass. Also, straighten out the neck using the truss rod (near flat with a small amount of relief) and lower your action to it's limit where you can still play without dead sounding notes. Plucking closer to the neck will also give you more mwah, as will plucking harder.