Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string height problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by iceblinko, Oct 1, 2003.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    hey all! i want to lower the action on my bass. could someone please help! a guitar tech just did a set up on my bass and said that the neck is straight, however, the action is still a bit high for my taste. i looked up some things on line, and it was all greek to me. i have the allen wrench and know how to raise and lower strings, but i just want a simple suggestion on how high each string should be. thanks all!

xo tom

2. Well string height is ultimately up to you.

Get it so it feels comfortable. But having said that you have to be able to get it as low as possible without string buzz.

Grab the smallest allen key. Or one that fits into the saddles at the bridge. Loosen these until you have the desired height.

:D:D

Merls

3. The setup of any instrument is important, especially fretless. How you set up the neck and string height really affects how the bass responds. Although you can use this manual to help you set up any bass, it's important to get the neck and action set up so that you can make the best use of the ramp.

SETUP INSTRUCTION MANUAL

;) Treena