1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String height?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MovingPitchers, Sep 25, 2013.

1. So I was wondering...

Should the E string be higher than the rest of the strings? when I run my fingers on top of the strings from the E to G, it feels like a downward slope from E to G...is this normal

2. tbear1776

tbear1776

Apr 8, 2013
    Yes more or less. I have found several sources that suggest that there be a difference of about 1/64 th. It really comes down to personal preferences. How low do you like you strings, with no rattle.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

What counts is the bottom of the strings from the board. The E is bigger so I find the top of mine are very close to level from the A then they slope off because they are thinner as you go higher.

Just remember, if the bass don't buzz and you like the way it plays, you can set the strings in any manner you like. Nothing is truly wrong about anyone's preference. ;)