1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String height.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by felixxx, Feb 23, 2008.

1. First to say that I did triy to search for this but I couldn't find the answer.

Basically, is the string height supposed to be the same at the first and at the last fret, or the action should be higher on the last.

I set the action on my bass to be about 2 mm (slightly higher on E string) at 12th fret, but I noticed that it is lower than this at the first fret and higher at the last. So, should I aim to have string at the same height along the neck or is it ok like this?

Thanks

2. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Sounds about right to me.

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    It's not the same height. Set relief first. Then set saddle height. I like the Sadowsky specs in the "Setups of the Rich and Famous" stickied up top. He gives low, medium, and high action numbers. He measures at the 12th fret from the bottom of the string to the top of the fret with the 1st fret capoed. I usually start with one of his recipes and then adjust to taste.