Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String help!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dmaki, Mar 19, 2002.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I've been playing bass for 2 1/2 years now and still haven't found "that string". The ones that I've liked the most were EB Slinkys and GHS boomers. Less than a week ago I bought a guitar, and after playing guitar for a short period of time, when I go to play my bass with DR Sunbeams, I can barely hear any tone whatsoever. I have an Ibanez GSR 200 (4 stringer) with EMG P-J's and an Eden Nemesis 2x10"

What is a long lasting, quality string with clarity in its tone that isn't too harsh?

I like a punchy tone with a bit of growl (but controllable) if that helps at all...

Thanks,
    Dave

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Hate to sound like a broken record but Elixirs are really nice. They have the brightness without the initial "sproing" of brand-new strings, but then they NEVER change -- for like a year. Really. It's an expensive experiment but I'm set for life.

I have two Conk Groove Tools, the fretted with Polywebs and the fretless with Nanowebs, and these strings have treated me well. I just realized I had to replace the set on the fretless, which I had bought for a Carvin bass in Feb '01. When I sold the Carvin in April '01, I kept the strings and put them onto the Conk fretless. Good move! I got a free set of Polywebs during their introduction in June '99 (so mailing lists aren't ALL bad) which stayed on the Carvin until I bought the Conk. So, two sets of strings in almost three years? Not too shabby!

3. I'll second the Elixirs. They were a little bright for me (I now use flatwounds) but they were definitely really good. The sound didn't change at all in 3 months.

Sounds like they'd be perfect for you.

4. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Thanks for the replies. Strings have been a major aggravation for me as once I find a tone I like, the strings change sound after a few days. I'm going to get a set of Elixers next time I go to Elderly (check it out if you live in Michigan) or Guitar Center.

Thanks again
    Dave

PS. are there variations of Elixers? (i.e. DR has Hi-Beams, Lo-Riders, Sunbeams, etc)

5. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Nope. As far as I know, the basic strings are the same -- nickel roundwounds from D'Addario, though they do come in a couple of different weights. But they come in two types of coating -- the original Polyweb, and the newer Nanoweb which is a thinner coating. I have both and I cannot tell the difference in sound or feel. If you play 5 or 6, the Nanoweb now comes with a taperwound B string.

D'Addario recently introduced their own EXP strings, which are built differently than the Elixirs. While the Elixirs are wound complete and THEN coated, the EXP's are made by coating the outer winding wire BEFORE putting that winding onto the string. I have not tried these yet so I can't speak to their sound.

6. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    So Elixers are made by D'Addario? I had a pair of XL's on and liked them better than the Sunbeams I have on right now...

Has anyone tried the new EXP's (on their site it only has them listed under acoustic...)?

- Dave

7. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Yeah, I was using D'Addario XL's until I got turned on to Elixirs. Liked 'em fine, plus they take repeated boilings very well.