Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String hitting on the fret board...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Wes, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Wes

Wes

Jun 18, 2005
    A few weeks I've been playing with my fingers and it's been much more fun than with a pick. However, when I go at a fast beat with the E string it seems to hit the metal frets on the board, and I don't have a clue why. I'm pretty sure I'm hitting the strings right, I'm definitely doing a "walking" motion with my fingers, and it's fine on the other strings.

I was wondering if you any of you pros could help me out.

Thanks in advance.

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Perfectly normal. You can raise the action a bit if it bothers you.

3. make sure that you aren't pushing toward the body of the bass, you should be pulling more toward the sky with your fingers.

lowsound

4. Wes

Wes

Jun 18, 2005
    Cheers guys I think it will be harder pulling it higher "towards the sky" but I'm sure I will get used to it.

Cheers again lads!

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    It's mostly a technique thing. You want to pluck the strings so they are vibrating parallel to the fretboard as much as possible, rather than perpendicular. If you are plucking with a motion towards the body of the bass, particularly if you are playing aggressively, you increase your chance of fret clank. As clink mentioned above, raising your action a bit will also help to minimize this noise.