String hitting pickup polepieces... Tape?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dmaki, Nov 15, 2004.

1. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I like having low action on my bass, but occassionally my low E string will hit the polepieces on my pickups, causing a loud metallic pop (happens quite more often with in drop D). I was wondering - if I put a piece of tape over the pickup poles to prevent the popping, would the adhesive cause any damage to the exposed poles (reaction with the metal, change color, etc)?
  2. Why not just lower the pickups a bit?
  3. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    That happends to me sometimes too. I never really thought to put tape over the pickups :meh: ...But I dont think the tape will have any reaction with the pickups.
  4. the tape wont do anything. the reason it pops is because its sticking to it, tape isn't thick enough to prevent that. you need to lower the pickup on the bass side a smidgen, and buy some higher tension strings if your going to drop d to keep the floppyness to a minium.
  5. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    When I put a piece of paper over the pickup and pressed the string down it didn't make the same popping sound. There was still a light thud (which I expected), but not the sharp metallic pop. I'll try lowering the pickup, I just wanted to know if tape would damage the pickup poles.
  6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    A layer of clear epoxy will solve the problem.
    If they're Fender type pick ups you can also tap the pole pieces into the pick up with a light hammer (and a light hand) and a small pin punch to get them flush or very slightly below the pu cover.
  7. joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    First remove the offending pickup. Then coat the poles liberally with super glue. Then dip the entire pickup in heated parraphin. While waiting for this to cool run down to Harbor Freight and buy some plastic insulating dip. Now coat the entire face of the pickup with the plastic insulating dip.

Or just lower the pickup.
  8. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    An easier way (at least worked with my Stingray5). Go buy some adhesive racket grip stripe (the rubber ones that come as a replacement or for covering your original grip). Be sure that it is auto-adhesive (some are not). Cut little pieces for covering the pole pieces (not just a stripe, try to keep it aesthetically harmonic). Good luck!