Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String ID Question

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by lincland, Oct 29, 2005.

1. lincland

lincland

Nov 8, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    I've read all the links and messages I can find, but I can't seem to find this string.

I am trying out some strings that I really like and I have no idea what they are. They are white, and thick and wrapped in plastic...sort of like Eurosonics, but I know that's not what they are...I've tried Eurosonics.

These are the size of gut strings, and have a wrapping at the bottom that's exactly like Corelli 370Fs. (Yellow with a black spiral)...at the top it's red like spirocores...and at the very top on the top is about an inch and a half of silver wire wrapped around everything to keep it all together.

I don't know if these are synthetic...that would be my guess, but they could be real gut with a heavy clear plastic wrapping.

Any info would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Lincoln

2. lincland

lincland

Nov 8, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Bueller? Anyone?

I contacted Lemur and they had no idea. (Nina was very nice.)

I contacted Gage and they haven't gotten back to me.

Who else can I ask? I need to know. These are awesome.

Lincoln

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Not to be antagonizing, but why aren't they Eurosonics? Your description is dead-on for Euros... they also make different gauges, by the way... :confused:

4. They could be Kaplan Golden Spirals. Is the plastic wrap very fine nylon thread? Do the ball ends have loops instead of balls?

5. lincland

lincland

Nov 8, 2004
    Dallas, TX

Yes the ball ends do have loops...not gut loops that tie, but little metal circles the same size as ball ends...but like little aluminum doughnuts. (mmm)

But I was told that Kaplan never made the Golden Spirals in anything but the D and G. This was a full set.

thanks for responding.
    Lincoln

6. lincland

lincland

Nov 8, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Well, I tried Eurosonics. They were very stiff right out of the package. They unwound themselves. These strings that I have now were very slinky and soft before I put them on. Definitely no metal wrapping under the plastic.

The Eurosonics had a very different sound and feel. Now granted I tried the "lights", and these are thicker, but in my opinion, MUCH too thick to be Eurosonic Mediums.

These strings bow OK. Eurosonics gave me trouble in every way...horrible nasal sound and I couldn't really center the pitch.

So in my opinion, these are not Eurosonics. Mainly because I'm sure there is no metal wrapping underneath the plastic.

Lemur said they sound like Picato, but the wrapping colors are all wrong. One of the string search engines identified them as Corelli Rope Core/Nickel. But this is not what they are.

Thanks for responding.
    Lincoln

7. lincland

lincland

Nov 8, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Not doughnuts...there is no hole...more like those doughnuts that have no hole...the flat ones that are jelly filled.

Also, I looked again...there is about an inch of silver wire wrapped around the down just above the ball end. It's about as long as the thickness of the tailpiece because you can see it from the front...then it stops. This is similar to the silver wire wrapping at the very end of the top of the string. It just looks like hand wrapped silver wire.

Thanks,
    Lincoln

8. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  9. lincland

lincland

Nov 8, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    I'm not using the "E" so I can take lots of angles of that one.

10. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'll be interested in seeing the pics, but is it possible that it was a wrapped gut or synthetic set that has had the wrapping removed?

11. lincland

lincland

Nov 8, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    I doubt that. it doesn't look like anything has been removed. They are pretty prestine at both ends and were very clean. I examined the E pretty closely, the wrapping is definitely clear around a white core. The wrapping appears to be a somewhat soft plastic or nylon, not hard like I've seen, and definitly no metal involved...just some kind of white core, and a clear wrapping.

I don't have my digital camera around, so I'll get a picture when I can.

thanks,
    Lincoln

12. lincland

lincland

Nov 8, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    ...Eurosonics afterall. I saw a pic of the wrapping, and it looks similar. I didn't see the whole string. It's just that I tried what I guess are the lighter guage Eurosonics and hated them. they were really thin. these are thick and the wrapping is much softer.

From the description, they could be Prestos, but the colors don't match.

so I'm leaing toward Eurosonics. Huh.

I'm still working on getting the pix.

Lincoln

13. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Speaking of donuts, dollars to donuts says they're Eurosonic Mediums (or originals, whatever you prefer) to be exact.