Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String ID

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Scott D, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey, my Ibanez ATK has some sweet strings on it, at the top, they have red wrapping, and the ball end, none, and the balls are brass (i think). I really like these strings, and i'm wondering where i can get another set. They aren't Roto's, i'm for sure about that (I just put some on my Ric, so i know what they look like...) But i'm pretty sure they are nickel, because they are shiny as hell. I heard something on another thread that they might be GHS Bass Boomers, but any help is appreciated. and, i already did a search, so please don't post that.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    they sound really bright...

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Sounds like Boomers to me. Unlike Smash, I've found many stainless strings (including Roto 66's) to be a bit duller appearing than nickels. Also, nickels look more "silvery" than steels as a rule. I haven't used stainless strings recently, so there may be some highly polished shiny ones out there.

But Boomers have brass ball-ends with no silk at the ball-end and red silk at the winding end. There may be other nickels with that combination, but I can't think of any right now.

Apparently there are some people here who have had problems with Boomers, but they've always been good to me. Got 'em on my P-bass right now.

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, these strings have brass ball ends, and red winding at the top..., so i'll just be putting Boomers on there forever! I thought that it sounded so bright because they were new strings, but i've played the sh*t out of this thing for the past week, like 2 hours a day, and it's still sounding the same! Damn i love the ATK! Thanks alot guys for the help! I really appreciate it! Also, my silk goes through the nut, and about 1/4" into the 1st fret... does that seem like the boomers?

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    "Also, my silk goes through the nut, and about 1/4" into the 1st fret... does that seem like the boomers?"

Is the ATK string-thru-body? If so, that sounds like regular long-scale Boomers. They also make long-scale plus, which I bought accidentally last time, and on my '78 P, the silk is waaaay past the nut, so that the winding wraps the E string post. So the long-scale plus might be the thing for your ATK.

I also like GHS Fast Fret, which seems to help my strings last longer. :bassist:

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, the ATK is string through. Also, on my G, the silk is way past and is wound in the tuner, so you think these are the long scales? I'm kind of suprised that they are GHS, because i just got 3 sets of the GHS Fatties, (i hear these are crap though... and they are...) and a set of Cryogenically frozen GHS's (that were OK, but stil not good) but i'll pick up a pack of these, maybe 2, because i totally hate the Roto's i just put on my Ric, it makes it really dull and lifeless, and the strings feel a little sticky.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Peace,
    Scott D

P.S. What is GHS Fast Fret?