Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String ID

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JAS, May 21, 2004.

1. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    Does anyone know what these strings are?

Light green on all strings at the nut end and light green with orange spiraled around at the ball end. with gold things at the bottom (not really the normal ball shape thing). The core of these strings is similar to the obligatos (almost a ruber tube type of material) they are rapped in some type of metal) very easy tension. they bowed pretty well too.

I had these strings on my bass about two years ago, someone gave them to me and told me they were Labellas, but I can't find them anywhere.

2. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    I took apart one of these strings a bit more and now see that I was wrong about the core. The obligato-like ruberish tubing core is only at the peg end of the string. I spoke with LaBella and they verified the string to be the 7720 Light strings.

These are a rope core string that can be played in standard tuning with light tension or can also be tuned up to solo pitch. They are on back order at Lemur and Quin Violins so I won't have the set I ordered for at least 2 or 3 weeks. I will report back when I get them. I had them on my bass a few years ago and they sounded very good. Similar to the obligatos in feel but with more sustain.

3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    so how do you like the strings?

4. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    Well, I got the strings and I am bit confused because they look very similar to the ones that I had on my bass about 2 years ago but there are some differences. I still have the old strings so I can compare them. The old ones had a rubber tubing material under the windings at the peg end of the string, these do not. These also are thinner and higher tension than the older strings. The green windings are also a darker green color. They seem to be a newer model of the same string. I don't like them. The Solo Obligatos tuned down are back on. These have been the best comprimise so far. I will strat a new tread about that.