1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String ID

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Showdown, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I just bought a used bass from Guitar Center online (Corpus Christi store) and they said they had just put new strings on it. I took them off because I wanted to use other strings on that bass, but decided to put them on another bass. These strings sound great on that bass. They have black silk on both ends and are nickel rounds. I assume they are not an expensive brand, since I think GC would have just put on whatever cheap strings they had.

Any ideas what they could be?

2. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    GHS pressurewound have black silk.

3. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks, but these are rounds.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Pressure Wounds look like rounds, but don't have as much of a round feel...

Can you measure from Ball End to the Silk at the tuning post (back of the ball)...

If they measure 36.5" there is a good chance they are...

5. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'll measure them when I get home, but I've played pressure wound before and I'm sure these are regular rounds. They are too rough to be pressure wound.

6. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The B is 36", the E 36.5", the A 36.75", the D 37" (4 string tuned BEAD).

Here is a picture. The silk got torn up a little taking them through the bridge of the original bass.

strings01.

strings02.

By the way, I had bought some Sadowsky nickels rounds from you a couple of weeks ago to replace these on the original bass they were on because I was getting ready to go in the studio, so I took these strings off and put them on my '76 Thunderbird because I wanted to see if the 34.5" scale would give me a better B than the Peavey Dyna the Sadowskys went on. It sounded so good, and the B string was so solid, that I ended up using it on all 5 songs we recorded last weekend. That is why I want to know what they are, because this bass is always going to get them.