1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Identification - Flats, no silks (photos)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BigBeatNut, Apr 17, 2010.

1. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    This is going to be a tough one I think.

It's a nice growly flatwound that's an odd one out in a set that came with the bass. Haven't found anything to match it. I think it's an A strung in the E position ... so detuned and that may contribute to the growl ... that and it being on a fretless.

The only other distinctive thing is that there a clear gaps in the windings ... gaps on labellas are much tighter.

Pics

string.

machine.

ballend_windings.

ballend.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm starting to get obsessive about the sound of this string.

Andy

2. Laklands come strung with GHS Precision Flats. I've no idea if the one for Lakland have silks. Also, i believe they're branded as Joe Osborn Flats.

EDIT: I just looked at my GHS flats, they look a bit different. Winding is alot tighter. Maybe Fender flats?

3. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    My first thought was Fender flats, but unfortunately no, as they have green silk at the ballends. :meh:

4. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    i know that labella (109-49) have a nice deep blue silk at the headstock end, but i can't remember if they have silk at the balls end...

5. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    I think you might be right ... but it's really the string with NO silk that I want to identify.

Andy

6. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Hmmm ... looks like I can rule out those 3 anyway.

7. I'm putting up pics of "similar to's"

My first reaction was Sadowsky Stainless Flats (Black Labels). But on close inspection, they have grey silk real close to the color of the strings. I also see the wrap is tighter than your pic. (Sad's are wound by LaBella).

The second pic is Detroit Flat Stainless from webstrings.com. No silk but a smoother wrap style than your pic.

That's it for me.

Attached Files:

8. BTW, maybe the dark blue silk on the other string is down in the winding post. They don't wrap silk where there in smooth winding on the string.

9. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    No ... that string has been on off the bass in my quest ... no blue silks. The other thing that tellls me they're not part of the same set it that my mystery 'E' and the 'A' you can see in the picture are pretty much the same guage. I think somebody broke an 'E' string from the original set (with blue silks) and just grabbed something else ... that happened to be an 'A'.

10. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Appreciate all the help so far, guys.

Andy

11. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    There was in idea on another forum that the mystery string might be a groundwound.

Nice idea, but I just had the cut end of the string under a magnifying glass ... the outer wrap is definitely rectangular. There was an inner wrap that appeared to be round.