1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Identification Help

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Inky13, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    8338A040-93AF-4134-BEF8-93F269F780B2.jpeg A29CC55B-588A-4750-9551-75B3F039D0E5.jpeg D5512380-C393-4291-A55F-BD1E03DDEA8E.jpeg These were on the bass when I bought it 12 years ago. Thinking they might now be better than the replacements. The E string looks like an outlier, but the separated wrap probably makes it junk. The E is purple and the others are red. Thanks.

2. The red ones are Spirocore Mittel (Medium) Orchestra Tuning. Not sure about 3/4 or 4/4, but in the USA the 4/4 are more common (and have a bit less tension on the same scale length than 3/4 Spiro Mittel Orchestra).

The purple one looks like a Pirastro string from looking at the ball end.

JC Nelson and Inky13 like this.
  3. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    Yeah, the purple looks like Pirastro Original Flexocor which being a dark and thumpy E string is a strange companion to Spiros. Get yourself a well used Spiro mittel E and you have a great set!

Inky13 likes this.
  4. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    That’s a good idea. Of course, I looked and one just sold.
    Thinking about golden slaps or something low tension as the top is caving and the post is poking through the back. I should have taken up the kazoo.

5. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    You were spot on about the E. No sustain at all. Being dead as a door nail doesn’t help.

6. There is a file in my Dropbox (link in signature and one of the string stickies) with lengths of 3/4 and 4/4 Spiros.
    They may vary a bit but it should be obvious (if the strings haven‘t been shortened) which ones you have.

Inky13 likes this.
  7. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    you should get your bass setup and fixed rather than put low strings on it. Those issues may result in needing to buy a new bass down the line.

Inky13 likes this.
  8. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    You are correct. Unfortunately, my financial situation is less than ideal. I’ve been trying to source a new top, but that’s a tough get. Just trying to scrape by for now. A new bass might be easier in the long run. We’ll see.

Sam Dingle likes this.