1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String identification question

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Chris204T, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Chris204T

Chris204T

Feb 4, 2014
    Dallas area
    Anyone who has been around for a long time. Can you tell me exactly what this string is? My father was a bass player and recently passed away. I found this string at his house while cleaning things up. He told me once that there was an E string for a bass with an extension on it that he had ordered for someone and they never picked it up. I want to see if that's what this string is. Can you tell from the markings stamped below the words "Double Bass" on the package?

IMG_1004.JPG

Attached Files:

2. This is indeed a very old Flexocor string, But not obvious if it's a long one.
    The marking suggests it's a fifth string that can be tuned at either B or C.
    Can you compare it's lenght to another bass string?
    If it's a long one, it should be something like one foot longer.

3. Chris204T

Chris204T

Feb 4, 2014
    Dallas area
    Thank you!

Would there be a danger of a string this old breaking if someone tried to used it and tune it up to pitch? Would it be best just to throw it away rather than risk having it break? I'm new to the bass and don't know about old strings.

4. bskts247

bskts247 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    If It hasn't been used and is sitting in the package then it should be safe to use

Francois Blais likes this.
  5. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    My first bass came to me wearing a set of steel strings that had been played hard for who knows how many years. Absent a manufacturing defect it should be perfectly safe to use.

Francois Blais likes this.
  6. From the reading of the package it is an old Flexocore (now named Original Flexocore, but with the old Flexocore silk colors) low B string for a 5-string bass. Seems that they only make one string for low B or low C.
    Of course tension will differ about 10% for B and C and I have no idea what was the intended pitch so it will fit to the set. But I guess low B.

As long as the string was stored dry the whole time, there should be no problem with the string.
    If the string was stored in a wet or very humid surrounding, the steel core might have got some corrosion. Beyond the ball ends it is not possible to see that.

7. hari442442442

hari442442442

Dec 18, 2008
    help! what the hell is this strings name!?

it is purple at the tail piece end and half purple half brown at the peg end.

it has been driving me crazy trying to figure this out so your help will be greatly appreciated.

i can seem to add pic's?!

8. Original Flexocor G string.
    By the way, I asked a moderator to move this to a separate thread.